Listen to the music of your existence. Watch as beauty surrounds your world. Speak with your heart...and Smile.

Saturday, March 28

Campfire

Amidst the isolation and the crisis of 2020 Covid-19, I thought it would be a fantastic idea to use my time wisely with creative writing. It's been 5 years since my last blog and I'll change it up a bit from a blog about my favourite songs to poetry and words I have been writing since I was a young girl. I get many random thoughts constantly, and sometimes I manage to capture them. Here is one I wrote on our family journey to The Northern Territory, Australia in July 2019. I call it CAMPFIRE


Burning leaves begins at spark
As the air lifts a single flame
Wood turns yellow screaming through
Doust in dry foliage the embers alight 

One two seven stacks on the pile
Catching the orange heat
A log hits the ash and woof to the sky
Settling to a calming crackle 

Smoke fills the open air
The sun sets low on the dusk edge 
Branches sway in a stillness winter
Skies glowing a mirror to the flame

Speckled darkness as you see the twilight
Knees so warm to touch
Hands busy finding pockets of warmth
A chill behind the neck 

Grey and red charcoal emanates softly
Smoky wisps of hair and hands of burnt branches 
Cold toes and blanket backs
Thank you fire the element of energy

There's something special about a campfire
Maybe disconnection from the hustle 
A silence in nature brings closeness to beauty
Appreciation of oneness on Earth

- Meg Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment